Local board of education members have the unique opportunity to impact each student enrolled in their district’s public schools. As leaders, they have the responsibility to hold their superintendents accountable for ensuring students become proficient readers. The Science of Reading: What Every Colorado School Board Member Should Know is designed to be an easy-to-understand guide that equips school board members with knowledge that empowers them to become leaders for literacy in their respective districts. Readers can expect to learn about the following:
- Research on early literacy and the reading brain;
- Components proven to be necessary for significant gains in literacy;
- Addressing equity for learners as a means of closing the achievement gap;
- Accessing their district’s data to understand performance;
- Expectations and implications for teachers and classroom instruction; and
- Highlights of the Colorado READ Act.