Donor Engagement Manager
Reports to: Executive Vice President
Full Time, Salaried Position, Exempt
Salary Range: $55,000 – $70,000, depending on experience and skill set
The mission of the Independence Institute is to empower individuals and to educate citizens, legislators, and opinion makers about public policies that enhance personal and economic freedom. Founded in 1985, the Independence Institute was the first free-market, state-focused think tank and proponent of reform and civil liberties in the Rocky Mountain West. The Institute has grown in expertise and reputation to lead the state in examining, developing, and forwarding free-market solutions to public policy issues. But we are more than a think tank. We are an “action tank.” We put our ideas into action through groundbreaking litigation, coalition building, ballot initiatives, media and investigative reporting. We don’t just fight on paper. We fight for freedom on the streets, in the statehouse, in the media, on the ballot, and in the courts.
About the Role:
The Donor Engagement Manager is charged with leading our donor relations efforts. This position will be a part of our development team and will work with the staff to ensure financial success for the future. This position is responsible for strategic direction of a comprehensive donor stewardship program that supports fundraising, with an emphasis on major and transformational gift donors.
This position will:
- Oversee a portfolio of donors and prospects
- Participate in each step of the donor pipeline including: identification; qualification through research; cultivation; briefing; request for support; and prompt follow up, stewardship, and recognition.
- Recommend and help implement strategies to enhance and grow existing donors’ giving levels.
- Work closely with the Executive Committee to develop and implement donor engagement and stewardship strategy.
- Establish and manage donor relations processes regarding acknowledgement, recognition, ongoing communications and continued cultivation of past, current and prospective donors. This includes regular updates and progress reports to major donors, demonstrating the impact of their contributions and the organization’s effective use of funds.
- Communicate the Independence Institute’s history, mission, vision, and programmatic goals to current and prospective donors.
- Respond to donor inquiries via phone and email.
- Stay current and knowledgeable on gift regulations and donor fund management best practices
- Research & evaluate individual donors’ financial capabilities.
- Assist with coordination of fundraising events.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Proven track record of successfully soliciting and securing gifts from individuals; experience with planned giving or foundations a plus.
- 3+ years’ experience in development/fundraising.
- An appreciation for a casual, sometimes sarcastic, but always fun, work culture.
- An excellent sense of humor, with an ability to laugh at him or herself
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically at a high level and outside-the-box
- An ability to drive projects, develop plans, and execute those plans effectively
- A problem solver
- Excellent verbal and written communications skill
- An ability to adapt quickly to changing situations
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Knowledge of MS Office, Word, Excel and Outlook (advanced Excel knowledge and experience with Salesforce a plus).
What Independence Institute Offers:
- A winning team motivated to achieve our mission and deliver remarkable results.
- Growth potential and the opportunity to build a rewarding and challenging career.
- A personal, family feel organization where we care about one another.
- Benefits package, including healthcare, retirement, life insurance, PTO, and more.
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing: 1) your interest in the position/the mission of the organization, and 2) your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Mi Vo at firstname.lastname@example.org.