Senior education policy analyst Ben DeGrow chronicled the demise of Amendment 66, the billion-dollar tax increase, for a national audience with a debut column published November 8 in Human Events:
Close observers were almost unanimously stunned by the force of the blow that capsized Amendment 66. The proposal to raise state income taxes by a billion dollars a year was soundly rejected by 65 percent of voters.
Last week DeGrow also provided the counterpoint on 66 for CTV Talks, a student news production at Colorado State University. Other recaps of Institute media contributions on this major issue for 2013 can be found as follows:
- Post Column Cites DeGrow’s Call for Deeper Student Funding Reforms
- Colorado Watchdog Cites Critique of Weak SB 213 Reform
- DeGrow Tackles SB 213 Tax Proposal on Choice Media
- Grand Junction TV News Cites Institute Research on Amendment 66
- Benigno Tells 9 News Viewers: Let’s Raise Expectations, Not Taxes
- DeGrow Points Out Late Challenges for Amendment 66 Tax Hike
The Independence Institute provided a significant amount of intellectual resources that were used to down the billion-dollar tax increase, and continues to educate Coloradans about the need to “raise expectations, not taxes” through the Kids Are First website.