Colorado HB11-1025 would repeal the hospital provider tax instituted in 2009. The tax (not a fee) was part of the so-called “Colorado Health Care Affordability Act.” of the explains how “If truth in advertising applied to legislation, the act’s title would have landed someone in jail”:
In its first year, [the tax] raised health care costs by levying $340.9 million in new taxes on nursing home and hospital bills. State agencies claim that the tax revenues reduce health care costs by increasing federalmatching funds for the state. But the state only pays for about 12 percent of total Colorado health care spending according to the Colorado Blue Ribbon Commission on Health Care Reform. If the state gains, it is at the expense of the other 88 percent, the people who pay the bills for everyone else.
Read the whole article at HealthPolicySolutions.org: Colorado’s Health Care “Affordability Act” should be repealed.